Mmbondo Africa is a network of all Emo ‘Ya Mmbondo structures functioning on the continent of Africa. However any Emo that desires to become member of Mmbondo Africa has to formulate a request and address it to the assembly of Mmbondo Africa through the secretariat for assessment and a decision to be taken during the coming assembly prior to which the application was launched. Membership criteria and member structures rights and responsibilities are stated/stipulated in the constitution of Mmbondo Africa network.
Mmbondo Africa is constituted with the following organs:
- The General assembly
- The Executive committee
- The Secretariat
- The General assembly – the assembly is the highest decision making organ of the Mmbondo Africa and is composed of the heads of all Emo ‘Ya Mmbondo(s) that constitute the network. The following are the functions of the organ:
- Decision making in respect to reports and recommendations from other organs
- Policy formulation and adoption
- Sanction and/or signoff on the implementation or the execution of projects as per executive council recommendation
- Accept or suspend members (Emo) of the network
- Approve the network strategic plan as formulated by executive council
The assembly meet annually on an ordinary general assembly meeting, however can also meet at any time in an extraordinary general meeting as circumstance dictates. Sitting in general assembly are the heads (presidents) of member structures (Emos), members of The Executive committee and the secretariat who prepare for the meeting.
The assembly is chaired on a rounding circle of which presiding “Emo” is allowed a one year term during which they will oversee the implementation of the projects run by The Executive committee. And also ensure the policies adopted in the last meeting are implemented accordingly. So the president of Mmbondo Africa will always be any sitting president of a member structure (Emo) as voted by the assembly for a one year term as stated above. The sittings are divided in three sessions:
- Subcommittee sessions: first day of the general assembly, subcommittees present their working report with delegated heads of member structures nominated. There will be two (2) subcommittees – audit committee and operations committee
- Head (presidents) of member structures session: this is where the coordinator (head of executive committee) presents his/her report to the presidents of Emos. During this session they can scrutinize that report as they would have a chance to hear on both audit and operation subcommittees exchange.
- Plenary session: this closing and biggest session brings together both member of executive committee and the presidents of Emos. It’s during this session when vote for the next president of Mmbondo Africa is made and decisions are taken.
- The Executive committee – this is the executive organ of the network composed with different operational departments. The organ is headed by a coordinator assisted by heads of departments. Members of this organ are voted on a permanent basis (2 to 3 years in office). The organ is constituted of the following offices:
- Office of the coordinator
- Department of external cooperation, public relations and communication
- Department of internal, cultural and social affairs
- Department of social, community and economic development
- Department of treasury and fundraising
- Department of research, monitoring and evaluation
The functions of this organ are among others:
- Execute and/or implement the policies adopted by the assembly
- Coordinate the activities and initiatives of Mmbondo Africa
- Coordinate the operations and/or all the current affairs of Mmbondo Africa
- Formulate the strategic plan and/or plan of action for the network for a determined period
- Monitoring and evaluation of the work of Mmbondo Africa
- The Secretariat – this organ is the go between the general assembly and The Executive committee. Is composed of an executive secretary and deputy executive secretary. Members of this office also are elected on long term period as of The Executive committee (2 to 3 years).
The functions of this office are among others:
- Preparing for the general assembly both ordinary and extraordinary as per request of the assembly
- Document all the policies adopted and decisions made/taken during the general assembly and transmit to The Executive committee for implementation/execution
- Prepare report of the general assembly
- Share reports by the general assembly with all stakeholders.