the assembly is the highest decision making organ of the Mmbondo Africa and is composed of the heads of all Emo ‘Ya Mmbondo(s) that constitute the network. The following are the functions of the organ:
- Decision making in respect to reports and recommendations from other organs
- Policy formulation and adoption
- Sanction and/or signoff on the implementation or the execution of projects as per executive council recommendation
- Accept or suspend members (Emo) of the network
- Approve the network strategic plan as formulated by executive council
The assembly meet annually on an ordinary general assembly meeting, however can also meet at any time in an extraordinary general meeting as circumstance dictates. Sitting in general assembly are the heads (presidents) of member structures (Emos), members of The Executive committee and the secretariat who prepare for the meeting.
The assembly is chaired on a rounding circle of which presiding “Emo” is allowed a one year term during which they will oversee the implementation of the projects run by The Executive committee. And also ensure the policies adopted in the last meeting are implemented accordingly. So the president of Mmbondo Africa will always be any sitting president of a member structure (Emo) as voted by the assembly for a one year term as stated above. The sittings are divided in three sessions:
- Subcommittee sessions: first day of the general assembly, subcommittees present their working report with delegated heads of member structures nominated. There will be two (2) subcommittees – audit committee and operations committee
- Head (presidents) of member structures session: this is where the coordinator (head of executive committee) presents his/her report to the presidents of Emos. During this session they can scrutinize that report as they would have a chance to hear on both audit and operation subcommittees exchange.
- Plenary session: this closing and biggest session brings together both member of executive committee and the presidents of Emos. It’s during this session when vote for the next president of Mmbondo Africa is made and decisions are taken.